Sunday, November 9, 2014

Of Red Walls and Raglans

There are two raglans and many a red brick to share.

Cute one first...



This is another Recess Raglan, my go-to t-shirt pattern for J. Size 4 this time (oh my!). It is a little big for him now but I have learnt my lesson that bigger is best. The skinny jeans that I made him only last post ago are now a little tight.


This main body of this tee is made up in a cute, reversible double knit which I bought online from Miss Matatabi. I think this penguin print has sold out now.



I really wish I had of reversed the fabric on the back. Now the poor little black penguins on the grey ice will not have their time to shine.


J loves this pose of pointing at the wall. Looks like punishment but I swear he thinks it is funny.

Now for the grown-up raglan...


When the newest pattern from Grainline Studios, the Linden Sweatshirt, was released, I bought it and had it cut out and made up quick smart. I had just started Pilates again and had zero casual/exercise wear so this pattern was timely for me. I have nearly finished a second version and have started cutting a third. I like this pattern alot.


I made the Size 18 and lengthen the hem by 4 inches and slightly curved it also. I have been favouring the look of turned back cuffs lately so just turned the sleeve hem to the right side and used my twin needle. I would use a single needle hem, if had the time again, as it has "tunnelled" due to the bulk.


All three fabrics, blue French Terry, navy and white striped jersey and grey ribbing were purchased at Potters Textiles here in Perth.


What you are looking at above is the best knit hem I have ever sewn! I owe that to my discovery of Stretch Overlocker Thread or Wooly Nylon! 

All the planets aligned when i finally discovered the following combination:

- the right tension on my machine (3 on my Janome) 
- the right stitch length (3.0 on my Janome)
- a ballpoint/jersey needle or twin needle 
- a walking foot
- wooly nylon in my bobbin

Resulting in neat and stretchy hems which have enough give in them so they shouldn't break.

I hope they don't break!




No comments:

Post a Comment