Tuesday, October 22, 2013

KCW: Day 1 and Day 2

As promised, here are the W-Shorts by Melly Sews with a Flashback Skinny Tee by Made by Rae to match. Well, this is what I call matching, I am a big fan of a plain top and patterned bottom (or vice versa).



This is the first time I have got the Flashback Skinny Tee pattern to work for me. Please learn from my first rookie mistake and do not use fleece or sweatshirt fabric on a stretch fabric pattern and expect it to work, or you may get sadness. The second one I tried, I used very thin, cheap jersey with the wrong needle and tension and my machine ate it...more sadness. I put this pattern to one side deemed it unusable. Since that time, I have learnt a smidgen more about sewing knits, have acquired the appropriate equipment and have made a few wearable knit tops. I thought it was high time to give this pattern a go again as I have seen many great versions of this top around.


This is made up in navy ponte knit I purchased from Potters Textiles, a local fabric shop here in Perth, with some green ribbing I had. I cut the Size 3, added 1.5 inches to the length and used the top part of the PDF sleeve piece to make a short sleeve version (the length measured 7 inches from the top of the sleeve head). Although I think the sleeve length looks good on this tee, I will shorten the sleeve on my next one. Also, the sleeve is bordering on too snug for J's arms, so I will widen them slightly. J is about average weight and height for his age (3 in 9 days!) so this is definitely a skinny pattern and you will want to keep that in mind if you are going to make it.



Now, who doesn't love a Moose print? and in corduroy at that! 



I chose the W-pants (shorts version) pattern to challenge myself in the areas of zip insertion, welt pockets and fly fronts. I ended up using none of those for these shorts and kept it simple to try out this pattern. I'm glad I did as they are bigger than I expected and I had to pull them in quite severely at the back with the elastic. It is quite bunchy back there but still very wearable and J should fit in to them for a fair while to come.


I used Moose print pinwale cord and black/grey denim for the yoke, pockets and waistband. Both I purchased at Spotlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment